TVSource Magazine names its pick to win Outstanding Younger Actor at the 42nd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. We watched all of the Emmy reels and picked the ones we felt were best based on the submissions. Check out our 2015 Daytime Emmy predictions inside!
For 42 years, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has honored the soap industry and all of the hardworking persons involved by acknowledging the great talent daytime has to offer. The cast and crew of these programs are arguably the hardest working individuals in the entertainment industry and they deserve the accolades.
Though most soaps produce over 200 episodes a year, when it comes to the Daytime Emmy Awards, it’s just a few minutes that matter. Watching an actor bring his or her character to life over a course of a year is very different than watching a sampling of what they consider to be their best work. It’s up the actors and shows to pick the scenes that best show off their talents.
TVSource Magazine staff got together and reviewed the submissions, breaking down our picks by who should win and who will win. We’ve all been there, wondering why a star with a great tape didn’t win over someone who didn’t have one as good. A variety of factors play into why some reels play better with the jury than others. We tried to venture into that area with our breakdown this year.
As with last year, one of the repeating issues we came across was scene partners – they either outshone the nominee or took away from the nominee. With the reels for Outstanding Younger Actor, there were two who stood out as major contenders to take home the trophy. The decision was nearly unanimous, but one staffer makes a valid case for why the obvious pick may not be so.
- Bryan Craig as Morgan Corinthos, General Hospital, ABC
- Max Ehrich as Fenmore Baldwin, The Young and the Restless, CBS
- Tequan Richmond as TJ Ashford, General Hospital, ABC
- Freddie Smith as Sonny Kiriakis, Days of our Lives, NBC
- Bryan Craig – 2 nominations for Outstanding Younger Actor (2014, 2015)
- Max Ehrich – 3 nominations for Outstanding Younger Actor (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Tequan Richmond – First nomination for Outstanding Younger Actor (2015)
- Freddie Smith – 2 nominations for Outstanding Younger Actor (2013, 2015)
Find out who we selected as our “Should Win” and “Will Win” picks on the next page.
Photo credit (l-r): Max Ehrich courtesy CBS; Tequan Richmond courtesy Todd Warywchuck/ABC; Freddie Smith courtesy NBC; Bryan Craig courtesy Rick Rowell/ABC.