The CW’s Roswell reboot have found its leads and rounding cast. Last month, Greys Anatomy’s Jeanine Mason was cast as the female lead Liz Ortecho. Now The Originals and General Hospital alum Nathan Parsons has been cast opposite Mason as Max, the series’ male lead. Joining Parsons is Tyler Blackburn (Pretty Little Liars), Lily Cowles (BrainDead), Heather Hemmens (If Loving You Is Wrong) and Michael Vlamis (New Girl).
Written by The Originals’ Carina MacKenzie and directed by Julie Plec, the Roswell reboot is based on the original Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz, originally adapted for Jason Katims’ WB/UPN series from 1999-2002.
The re-imagined series follows an adult Liz Ortecho, a jaded biomedical researcher and daughter of undocumented immigrants, who reluctantly returns to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico. Liz discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: he’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance. Shiri Appleby played Liz in the WB series.
- Nathan Parsons, reuniting with his Originals creative family, will play Max, a “dedicated Roswell police officer and natural born leader” who has carried the secret of his origins and powers, along with those of his crew. Jason Behr played Max in the WB series.
- Lily Cowles will take on the role of Isobel, originally played by Katherine Heigl. Isobel is described a “polished and restrained”. She isn’t meant for life in a small town but forces herself to smile through it to protect her secret.
- Michael Vlamis is Michael, originally played by Brendan Fehr. Michael survived an abused childhood and is secretly driven to develop a plan to escape Earth and the humans who failed him.
- Heather Hemmes will play Liz’s former best friend Maria, originally played by Majandra Delfino. Maria is a free spirit and social media influencer unware of the secrets Roswell harbors.
- Tyler Blackburn will play Sgt. Alex Manes, a war vet grappling with PTSD and other issues as he returns home with hopes of living up to his father’s expectations — which means giving up his dreams and the man he loves. The role has been reconceived from the original, played by Colin Hanks.
MacKenzie will executive produce the series alongside Amblin Television’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank; Lawrence Bender and original series producer Kevin Kelly Brown.