‘Game changer’ is one of those phrases that we think gets thrown around far too often in the TV world. But if there was ever an episode worthy of the phrase, it’s the next episode of Reign.
The CW sent out advanced screeners for “The Consummation” a few weeks ago and we’re still trying to process everything that happened in the episode. It’s about so much more than Mary’s decision as to which of Henry’s sons to marry or the arrival of Mary’s mother, Marie de Guise (guest star Amy Brenneman) at court.
Lies are told. Relationships are forever changed. Words are said that can never be taken back. Trust is forever broken. Deals are made. Fates are sealed…or are they? This episode has some twist and turns and we can say that nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems at the French Court.
Obviously we can’t spoil everything about the episode because that takes the fun out of watching and this episode is definitely worth watching, no matter which man you’d prefer to see standing at the altar. But here are seven things we can share:
1. When King Henry learns that the queen of England has died, he orders Mary to wed one of his sons, but Mary refuses to be bullied. However, someone else makes a suggestion to her and suddenly Mary realizes she only has one course of action.
2. Marie sweeps into French Court and makes it clear that she’s not happy about a lot of things. She gets in Catherine’s face and we all know that Catherine is not one to take nonsense from anyone, even a fellow queen. Which woman will come out victorious?
3. Francis and Lola arrive back at court and lie about why they’re returning together. Someone immediately catches onto Lola’s lie, but the confrontation won’t come until later. Watch for the scene that will spark the inevitable conversation – it’s a good one.
4. Mary can only marry one man, but that doesn’t stop her from having adorable moments with each before the decision is made. Pay attention to the scenes that take place in the hallways – you’ll be grateful for the good lighting when it comes to the gifs that will flood the internet afterward.
5. Neither Francis nor Bash is happy to see one another once they are reunited. They each state their case and as the promo shows, it ends in a fist fight. But trust us – that is nothing compared to a scene they share later in the episode.
6. Mary is given a lot to think about by various people, each wanting her to make a decision that will most benefit their needs. Two separate scenes between Mary and Catherine are not to be missed. What drives Mary to make her final choice? We can’t say, but we promise – it’s worth the wait.
7. As always, not everything is as it seems at court. Secrets begin to come out before the episode is over and Mary unleashes her anger at [spoiler]. Meanwhile, someone else offers forgiveness, but doesn’t realize it hasn’t been earned.
Are you looking forward to the episode? Who do you think Mary will wed? Is it the same man you want Mary to wed? Any guesses on who’s hiding secrets and whose secrets will come out? Hit the comments below and share your thoughts and theories with us!
Reign airs Thursday, March 6 at 9/8c on The CW.