TVSource Magazine names its pick to win Outstanding Lead Actor at the 42nd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. We watched all of the Emmy reels and picked the ones we felt were best based on the submissions. Check out our 2015 Daytime Emmy predictions inside!
For 42 years, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has honored the soap industry and all of the hardworking persons involved by acknowledging the great talent daytime has to offer. The cast and crew of these programs are arguably the hardest working individuals in the entertainment industry and they deserve the accolades.
Though most soaps produce over 200 episodes a year, when it comes to the Daytime Emmy Awards, it’s just a few minutes that matter. Watching an actor bring his or her character to life over a course of a year is very different than watching a sampling of what they consider to be their best work. It’s up the actors and shows to pick the scenes that best show off their talents.
TVSource Magazine staff got together and reviewed the submissions, breaking down our picks by who should win and who will win. We’ve all been there, wondering why a star with a great tape didn’t win over someone who didn’t have one as good. A variety of factors play into why some reels play better with the jury than others. We tried to venture into that area with our breakdown this year.
Over all the reels for Outstanding Lead Actor were good (though not always great). Though Billy Miller and Christian Le Blanc’s reels showed some nice work for both of them, at times it felt like those scenes really belong to their screen partners. Predicting who will when this year is a real no brainer but once in awhile the Emmys surprise us.
- Anthony Geary as Luke Spencer, General Hospital, ABC
- Christian LeBlanc as Michael Baldwin, The Young and the Restless, CBS
- Billy Miller as Billy Abbott, The Young and the Restless, CBS
- Jason Thompson as Dr. Patrick Drake, General Hospital, ABC
- Anthony Geary – 16 nominations (1981, 1982,1983, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008,2009, 2012, 2015); 8 wins for Outstanding Lead Actor (1982, 1983, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2012)
- Christian LeBlanc – 10 nominations (1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2015); 3 wins for Outstanding Lead Actor (2005, 2007, 2009)
- Billy Miller – 5 nominations (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015); 2 wins for Outstanding Supporting Actor (2010, 2013); 1 win for Outstanding Lead Actor (2014)
- Jason Thompson – 5 nominations (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
Find out who we selected as our “Should Win” and “Will Win” picks on the next page.
Photo credit (l-r): Christian LeBlanc courtesy CBS.com; Tony Geary courtesy Craig Sjodin/ABC; Billy Miller courtesy Matt Petit/ABC; Jason Thompson courtesy Rick Rowell/ABC