Last time we visited Mystic Falls Kai killed Jo on her wedding day, followed through on his promise to destroy and kill the rest of the Gemini Coven, and then got his head slapped off by Damon. Of course that was after he’d magically linked Bonnie to an injured Elena, forcing Elena to remain in a coma until Bonnie dies. Oh and he also let Lily’s super dangerous Heretic family escape and the final shot featured a destroyed Mystic Falls.
Season seven of The Vampire Diaries kicks off in between those two events. It’s been a few weeks since the gang said goodbye to Elena, but we haven’t hit the wasteland just yet. Over the course of “Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take”, we watch the events unfold that lead up to that moment. Not only that, we jump ahead three years in the future and see our heroes in a surprising situation that left us wondering, “HOW did that happen?!”
Naturally, we’re not allowed to say much more than that. Instead, we’ll say the premiere is arguably one of the best the series has done. The writers did not forget the central heroine is no longer there and found ways to make sure Elena’s presence is felt while still elevating the characters moving forward with their lives. We meet the Heretics and like the villains that came before them, there’s more to their story than just being bad for the fun of it.
The season premiere left us eager for more on several fronts. We can’t share any major secrets, but here are seven teasers and bonus dialogue from “Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take”:
1. Caroline and Bonnie both keep their promise to Elena and write in diaries throughout the hour. Expect at least three other characters to have voiceover moments as well.
2. While Caroline wants to move forward with her life, she’s still dealing with her mom’s death. She’s not the only one thinking about Liz.
3. Damon kidnapped Ric to try and help ease his pain and Bonnie tagged along to make sure Damon stays off the ledge. One of these people has a hidden agenda.
4. Lily just wants her family to be happy and she’s doing her best to teach them how to behave in this world. However, that is not Lily’s only mission.
5. Stefan and Damon do not see eye to eye on how to deal with the Heretics. But which one turns out to be right?
6. Enzo tries to walk the center line when it comes to the two sides, but no one is okay with that. In the end, where will his loyalty lie?
7. What should be a happy day for Matt goes terribly wrong. Who does he blame for the disaster?
Take a guess, who said it?
“If you’re worried, I’m terrified.”
“You sound just like her.”
“It keeps getting funnier.”
“Nice try. I’m not leaving you.”
The Vampire Diaries returns Thursday, Oct. 8 at 8/7c on The CW.