The main cast for Hulu’s upcoming Marvel series Runaways has been revealed. Faking It star Gregg Sulkin will topline the superhero drama from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.
Marvel’s Runways is based on the popular Marvel comics created by the award- team of Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. The book has won an Eisner, a Harvey and was featured as one of the Young Adult Library Services Association’s best books for young adults.
Runaways follows a group of diverse teens who are forced to put aside their differences after discovering their parents are members of an evil criminal syndicate. They discover things they didn’t know about themselves, and their lineage, as they set out to stop their parents and save the world.
“The fun and chemistry that this group of talented actors create is wonderful and we’re so excited to bring these beloved characters to life,” said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television.
- Gregg Sulkin will play high school heartthrob and lacrosse star Chase Stein. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.
- Virginia Gardner (Goat, Little Bitches) will play Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile. She is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.
- Rhenzy Feliz (Teen Wolf, Casual) will play Alex Wilder, a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends. Alex is the defacto leader of the Runaways.
- Allegra Acosta (100 Things to do Before High School) is Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.
- Ariela Barer (New Girl, One Day at a Time) will play Gert Yorkes, purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.
- Lyrica Okano (The Affair) will portray Nico Minoru, a tough, intelligent, and independent embodiment of teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.
“We have had a total blast bringing Brian and Adrian’s amazing story to life. We’re so happy they love the Runaways we’ve assembled as much as we do,” said executive producers/showrunners Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.
Runaways comic co-creator and series executive consultant Brian K. Vaughn added, “I’m so excited for fans of the comic to watch this perfect cast of amazing actors, all of whom embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined.”
Marvel’s Runaways is executive produced by series showrunners and writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage along with Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb (Marvel’s Luke Cage, Marvel’s Iron Fist) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones.) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well.
Marvel’s Runaways is a co-production with ABC Signature Studios.