September 28, 2012 – Earlier today, TV Source Magazine executive editor Ryan White-Nobles received an email from former Days of our Lives head writer Marlene McPherson regarding comments made on his personal Twitter account (SourceRyan). The comment in question was in reference storylines currently airing on Days of our Lives.
What was said referred to current head writers Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell “still ending stuff from old writers.” The term “old stuff”, refers specifically to the storyline of Nicole’s pregnancy, which began under Ms. McPherson’s and Mr. Thomas’ regime, and is currently continuing under the current regime. After said comment was made, Ms. McPherson contacted TV Source with the following email:
“SourceRyan. I am not sure where you are getting your information but it is 100% false. Darrell and my stories finished with the Daysaster. What is on air now is all Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell. I have contacted our attorney and you will be hearing from him shortly. We expect an IMMEDIATE retraction or we will take legal action.”
We responded to Ms. McPherson’s email with the following: “Hi Marlene. I was simply referring to Nicole’s pregnancy storyline, which began under you and Darrell. I can clarify what I said and make it clear that these scripts are not yours.”
She replied: “Your tweets say nothing about Nicole. They are completely false. Not sure where you got this 10/15 date.” She then quoted the tweet and the message that was sent to her. “[From Source Ryan] @soapwikijohn 10/15 on is when the show really kicks into high gear. It’s just treading right now. Still ending stuff from old writers. SourceRyan says TomSell is still ending stuff from you & Dar & that Days kicks into high gear on 10/15.” [Note: “TomSell” is a portmanteau of Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell’s last names]
We responded again to Ms. McPherson. “Those were two separate things I was referring to. No one implied the work airing is your scripts. But I made it crystal clear it’s not.”
And we did: “CLARIFICATION: Earlier I mentioned DAYS was “still ending stuff from old writers”. OBVIOUSLY the scripts are TomSell’s not MarDars. More SPECIFICALLY I was referring to the Nicole pregnancy storyline which began under MarDar. Those that are smart clearly know this” [Note: “MarDar” is a portmanteau of Marlene McPherson and Darrell Thomas’ first names.]
However 6:34PM/EST, we received the following letter from Ms. McPherson’s lawfirm:
For the record, SoSource Media LLC., TV Source Magazine, nor its executive editor ever attributed “poor quality of the show, and the virtual plummeting of the ratings since the end of August” to stories written by Ms. McPherson and Mr. Thomas. The term “old stuff”, again refers in particular to the storyline of Nicole’s pregnancy, which began under Ms. McPherson’s and Mr. Thomas’ regime, and is currently continuing under the current regime.
SoSource Media is disheartened with the implication that its flagship property TV Source Magazine made statement that were false, defamatory and/or libelous.
It is unfortunate that TV Source Magazine staff apparently cannot comment on the current state of a fictional television series, on their personal twitter accounts, pertaining to a fictional storyline, again, Nicole’s pregnancy, that began under Ms. McPherson and Mr. Thomas, without incurring such harsh legal threats. And if the mere mention of a storyline, again, Nicole’s pregnancy, can be classified as defamation or libel, then we suppose that an apology and a retraction is due.
In response to their demand, SoSource Media, LLC and its affiliated brand TV Source Magazine hereby and unequivocally retracts what was written on its executive editor’s personal twitter account. And although it did not appear in any shape or form on the TV Source Magazine website, we are complying with Ms. McPherson’s request.
We have also been directed to “state the true facts”. Below are the true facts, which can be independently verified.
- TV Source never attributed the “poor quality of the show, and the virtual plummeting of the ratings since the end of August” to Ms. McPherson. Such statement was never written.
- Dating back to September 2009, it was stated by Ryan White-Nobles at the creation of his Twitter account, “Alright so let’s talk about what I’ll be doing on this. Giving MY opinions of course, which doesn’t mean it’s the view of SOS. Remember that.” [Note: “SOS” referred to SoSource Media’s then magazine Soap Opera Source, which was absorbed into TV Source Magazine in January 2012. – https://twitter.com/SourceRyan/status/3691954773]
- The announcement Ms. McPherson and Mr. Thomas’ departure from Days of our Lives was announced April 4, 2012 (https://tvsourcemagazine.com/soaps/news/2495-days-of-our-lives-fires-writing-team).
- While Ms. McPherson and Mr. Thomas ceased writing for Days of our Lives in May, their stories, in particular scripts they worked on, continued to air until August 30 as stated in the legal letter.
- While ratings under Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell have “plummeted” under them, ratings also “plummeted” at various times from December 2011 – July 2012 when Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Whitesell were not employed by Days of our Lives and/or their material was not airings.
- While Days of our Lives’ ratings did rise in ratings leading up the Olympic hiatus during the weeks of July 16-20, July 23-27, and continued its rise during the weeks August 13-17, August 20-24, for the week of August 27-31, the series lost 200,000 in total viewers and 87,000 in women in-49 [specifically in reference to “ratings climbing to a crescendo” (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/09/07/soap-opera-ratings-general-hospitals-ratings-rise-in-households-and-women-18-49/147640/)]
- The series also hit multiple lows in total viewers and/or the coveted women 18-49 demographic dating back to December 2011 (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/days-of-our-lives-ratings/page/6/). Including but not limited to:
- March 10-23 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/03/29/soap-opera-ratings-young-the-restless-general-hospital-days-of-our-lives-hit-lows/126535/
- March 26-30 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/06/soap-opera-ratings-days-of-our-lives-sets-new-low-in-women-18-49-viewers/127708/
- April 2-6 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/13/soap-opera-ratings-new-lows-for-young-the-restless-and-days-of-our-lives/128761/
- May 21-26 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/01/soap-opera-ratings-bold-the-beautiful-rises-in-women-18-49-ratings-while-days-of-our-lives-ties-its-series-low/136430/
- For the week June 18-24, the series matched a low in women 18-49 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/30/soap-opera-ratings-the-young-the-restless-and-days-of-our-lives-match-series-lows-in-women-18-49/139633/
- For the week June 25-29, the series tied its low for the second week in a row – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/07/06/soap-opera-ratings-the-young-days-of-our-lives-ties-series-lows-in-women-18-49/140689/
- For the week July 9-13, the series hit a new low in women 18-49 – http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/07/20/soap-opera-ratings-days-of-our-lives-hits-new-low-in-women-18-49-viewership/142030/
- There will never, ever be another mention of Ms. McPherson or Mr. Thomas on TV Source Magazine, on Mr. White-Nobles’ personal Twitter account, official magazine twitter account, or any other yet to be created property owned by SoSource Media LLC.
Having met all requirements asked of us; let this issue be put to rest.
About SoSource Media
SoSource Media is a digital media, publishing and web development company founded in 2011. SoSource Media creates unique brands that provide original content in entertainment, sports and media. TVSourceMagazine.com and SoapOperaSource.com are part of the SoSource Media digital portfolio.
For further information about SoSource Media, please visit http://sosourcemedia.com